By Alicia Ghio
When I’m in the mood to cook fish, cod is my go-to choice. It’s available year-round, isn’t incredibly expensive, can be cooked in many different ways and pairs well with bold flavors like fresh herbs and citrus. Plus, it’s not especially fishy, which also means my entire house won’t smell like fish the next day.
In this healthy cod dish, a few fresh ingredients are quickly tossed together with a few Italian pantry staples. It’s a great dinner for a busy weeknight that’s not only good for you but looks like something from a restaurant.
Baked Cod with Artichokes
- 2 8-oz. pieces of cod fillet
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup quartered artichoke hearts in water
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, diced
- ¾ teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the two cod fillets on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.
- Drizzle on 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil and a quarter teaspoon of minced rosemary. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the fillets are opaque and easily flake apart with a fork.
- While the cod bakes in the oven, place a medium-sized sauté pan on the stove over medium high heat.
- Add two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to the pan.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent. Add the chopped garlic and cook until just lightly golden brown.
- Add the artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper and cooked cannellini beans. Cook until heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining half teaspoon of fresh rosemary.
- Divide the artichoke mixture evenly between two plates. Top each portion with a baked cod fillet. Serve hot.