By Alicia Ghio
In the heat of summer, I avoid turning on my oven or stove. I’d rather grill or just go raw. With summer’s bounty coming out of my vegetable garden and a desire to keep cool, I turn to salads for lunch and dinner. Fresh, hearty salads don’t have to be based around lettuce or some type of greens. Get creative and use whatever you have on hand. The combinations are endless.
That’s the thought behind this Crunchy Chopped Salad recipe, featuring a lemon tahini dressing. It’s full of summer ingredients and while it fills you up, you don’t feel weighed down. It makes a wonderful main course or can feed twice as many people as a side salad.
Crunchy Chopped Salad
Serves 4-6 as a main course
- 1 small zucchini, diced (equals about 2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, diced (equals about 1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup broccoli sprouts
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- Juice of 2 fresh lemons
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small jar, add all the dressing ingredients. Screw on the lid and shake until fully combined. Alternately, you can whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Toss all the salad ingredients into a large bowl.
- Pour on the dressing. Toss to combine. Serve.