By Alicia Ghio
Yes, even I have been known to skip the salad at the holiday meal. This year, however, I wanted to make sure the greens didn’t get left out.
Dark leafy greens become a touch sweeter with the cold. To enjoy that flavor they need to be fresh, especially if you want to eat them raw.
The shredded Brussels sprouts are the backdrop for an invigorating blend of toasted nuts, tangy lemon-ginger dressing and tart cranberries. This salad is not only very filling and seasonal, but it looks festive too.
Festive Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
with Lemon-Ginger Dressing
- 4 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1½ teaspoons fresh minced rosemary
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon raw honey
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a mandoline or knife, shave or shred the sprouts.
- Place the shredded sprouts into a large bowl.
- Toss in the minced fresh rosemary, chopped toasted pecans and dried cranberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, honey and fresh ginger. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately.