By Alicia Ghio
While we try to grill year round, it’s a little tough during those cold, dark and snowy winter days. So when warmer temperatures start to roll around, there is nothing I like more than to get the grill back in use.
Sliced grilled steak over some fresh vegetables is a delicious dinner. It’s simple but the flavors make it special, especially in this recipe for marinated steak salad with a bacon and crumbly blue cheese dressing. You just need to do a little planning and marinate the steak ahead of time; otherwise, it’s easy to prepare.
Marinated Steak Salad with Bacon & Crumbly Blue Cheese Dressing
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- juice & zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. London Broil
- 4 strips of bacon
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 head of escarole, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Put all the marinade ingredients into a container. Mix well to make sure the meat is fully coated. Seal the container and put in the fridge for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Grill the marinated steak to medium rare or your preferred doneness. (Internal temperature for medium rare is 135 degrees Fahrenheit.) Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, fry the bacon until really crisp. Place the cooked bacon on a towel; then crumble and set aside. Let the bacon fat in the pan cool a bit; then add two tablespoons of it into a small bowl.
- To the bacon fat, whisk in olive oil, vinegar and pepper. Then stir in the bacon crumbles and the blue cheese.
- Next, chop the escarole and slice the red onion. Toss together in a large bowl.
- Thinly slice the steak.
- Now it’s time to assemble: On a large platter, add the salad, place the steak slices on top; then drizzle the dressing over the top of it all and serve.