This quick salad is like a tip of the hat to Mother Nature and her summer bounty. After all, it’s August and summer is beginning to wane. It’s time to really savor and preserve those summer flavors.
On a large plate, I alternated between slices of an amazingly sweet peach and a few beautiful red zebra heirloom tomatoes. I topped them with a simple parsley-chive vinaigrette and it was the perfect side dish for our late summer backyard barbecue.
Peach and Heirloom Tomato Salad
Serves 2-4 as a side dish
- 1 peach, washed and sliced
- 4 small-medium sized heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the peach and the tomatoes. Arrange them on a platter, alternating between the two.
- In a small bowl, add the minced parsley, chives and garlic. Pour in the red wine vinegar.
- Whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the peach and tomato slices. Serve at room temperature.
Alicia Ghio is a passionate home cook on a mission to inspire others to know where their food comes from, to know what